Tuesday 5 April 2011

Wayne Rooney – the ugly side of football

Yesterday the Football Association (FA) gave Wayne Rooney a two match ban for swearing into a television camera during a match on Saturday. At first glance this may seem an excessive punishment, especially for Rooney’s team, Manchester United, as they enter a crucial phase in the lead up to the climax of the Premiership title race.

But, even though I am a Manchester united season ticket holder, I applaud the FA (and it’s not often I say that) and their decision.

I was watching the match on TV at the weekend. It was an exciting spectacle, with Man U pulling back from a first half 2 – 0 deficit with three goals from Rooney in the space of 15 minutes in the second half. It was my idea of a perfect Saturday – slow start to the day then settling in to a favourite armchair to watch my favourite team play my favourite sport. Like all armchair fans that afternoon, I leapt up as the penalty went in. Rooney’s team mates swamped him as footballers do in celebration, but then he shook them off and turned to the camera, his face contorted into an ugly mass of hatred. With what can only be described as pure venom and raw anger, he swore audibly, and for even those hard of hearing, there could be no doubt as to the words he so clearly mouthed. I literally stepped back – the verbal attack suddenly feeling very personal.

The joy of the game was gone for me in an instant.

What a wonderful contrast a few minutes later as Hernandez scored United’s fourth goal. He stood still, eyes heavenward, arms outstretched, with a smile that was like liquid sunshine. It could have melted icebergs. His joy was the joy of hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions of spectators all over the world.

Another fine contrast to the miserable Rooney is the goalkeeper, Edwin Van Der Sar, who has served his team brilliantly since 2005, and remained constant in his demeanour and professionalism even as his wife fought a life threatening illness last year. Most, if not all, of Rooney’s off pitch concerns are of his own making. Through greed, lack of control or sheer ignorance.

I hope that Sir Alex Ferguson does not contest this two match ban, even though it may have  consequences for the team. I also hope that Rooney goes on to score many more goals for us till the end of the season so his value on the transfer market goes up.

Then I hope Manchester United will sell him. I don’t want to see that nasty face of football at Old Trafford next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment