Saturday 2 April 2011

Thank you Mum.

In the UK this Sunday is Mother’s day – and my first without my mother. Even though she suffered from severe dementia for the last ten years of her life, my Mum will be very much missed on this special day for mothers.

So I thought I would send her one last card, with my thanks.

Thank you for:                                                                             

Helping me believe I can do anything: This was such a powerful message that I even applied to join the first UK astronaut programme in 1987. The really scary thing is that I got through the first round of applications and am terrified of heights!

Telling me that childbirth is ‘as easy as falling off a log’: Of course it isn’t – but I went into the labour room perfectly calm which I am sure contributed to the very easy birth of my daughter.

Being a fantastic Granny: Staying with Granny and Granddad was always a great adventure for my daughter and niece. And thank you for loving your step grandchildren too.

Teaching me that cooking is about love: You were always a wonderful hostess, even though the kitchen looked like a crime scene afterwards.

Your courage: In joining the Royal Navy during the second world war, and having the courage to marry a ‘poor Scottish sailor’ despite your parents’ disapproval.

Showing me that there really is such a thing as true love: Your love story and long years of marriage gave me the patience to wait for the right one and recognise my true love when I met him.

Teaching me to like gin and tonic: Alcohol was never a mystery or forbidden fruit to so I believe I have a healthy relationship with it.(and very rarely get drunk!!)

Helping me understand that fun, family time and generally enjoying life is much, much more important than housework: Perhaps telling your granddaughter that women with tidy cupboards have very small brains was a little extreme!

Being terribly funny: Even when you didn’t mean to!

Really embarrassing your children: It meant that I have been able to do the same with mine!

Being there when I needed you: getting up at 5am to be with me when my late husband had surgery and managing to keep me occupied and relatively sane whole as waited for him to come out of the operating theatre.

Being fiercely proud of your children: we have all grown up to be pretty confident individuals with a good sense of self worth.

Teaching me independence: If I didn’t press my school uniform, no-one else would.

For my genes: Pity about the bunions and my short sight, but good skin, good health and hopefully longevity are all precious gifts.

If there is a Heaven, I have no doubt you will be there, causing your own very special brand of happy chaos, surrounded by those we have lost but still love.

No comments:

Post a Comment